For the safety of our community, how to upick raspberries at Rulfs is going to look very different this season. Please read on to find out what we are doing to protect you, and how you can help us.
- Please PAY BEFORE YOU PICK. Areas will be blocked off to purchase containers and wait in line, with clearly marked 6 feet social distancing signage.
- Masks will be required throughout Rulfs Orchard property, including while waiting in line to pay. This includes children aged 2 years and over. Masks are not required while picking unless you are within 6 feet of another customer.
- Please wash/sanitize your hands before entering the field.
- To help social distancing, we ask that you visit the fields in picking groups of six or less.
- Picking containers will be provided. Please do not bring your own.
- Please do not consume fruit or picnic in the fields while picking.
- Cleaning and sanitizing will continue to be strict and regularly carried out. A wash station and sanitizer will be available for visitors.
- On days where a high volume of visitors want to pick, you may be asked to wait in your car until field numbers decrease.
- If you feel unwell, please stay home and do not visit the store or u-pick fields.
Please be aware that due to the number of different fields and ripening times of our fruit, some details may change day-to-day. If in doubt, ask a staff member.
We want to thank you in advance for your patience as we continue to find the best ways to serve you and keep our customers and staff safe during this difficult time. Ultimately, the safety of the community is our number one priority and we greatly appreciate your cooperation and understanding!
Picking raspberries at Rulfs
Our raspberry fields will be open and staffed 7AM-5PM during the season. Please park in the designated areas and make your way down to the fields as marked. Please PAY BEFORE PICKING. You will be given container/s, no need to bring your own.
Please respect the Rulfs property, our employees, and the rules for u-pick - we want everyone to enjoy their berry picking experience with us!
Note: To protect the integrity of the food we grow, please leave your dogs at home when planning to berry pick at Rulfs.
Our upick raspberries are $4.00 per pint.
Fresh in store raspberries are $5.00 per pint.
Raspberry picking tips
- Raspberry bushes don't have thorns, but they can be prickly, so bear this in mind when picking!
- Ripe raspberries are deep in color with a plump, soft but firm feel. When picked it will pull free from the plant with only a slight tug. The center will stay on the plant.
- Pick only the fully ripe berries! Look between the stems for hidden berries ready to be picked. Try bending down and looking up into the plant - you may find berries other people missed!
- A good way to pick is to hold the stem with one hand, while picking with the other.
- Don't overfill your containers or try to pack the berries down.
- Avoid placing the picked berries in the sunlight any longer than necessary. It’s better to put them in the shade of a tree or shed than in the car trunk or on a car seat. Cool them as soon as possible after picking!
- Don’t wash the berries until you’re ready to use them or freeze them. Washing makes them more likely to spoil.
- Refrigerate! Right after picking, place raspberries in the fridge. Lightly cover the container if your fridge tends to dry out produce.
- Raspberries are less perishable than blueberries or strawberries, but refrigerate them as soon as possible after picking.
- Even under ideal conditions raspberries will only keep for a week in a refrigerator, so for best flavor and texture, use them as soon as possible after purchase!